Taking A-levels course in England.
d***@gmail.com
2005-11-06 20:15:45 UTC
Hello, I've been in Turkey for just over three years now and I am now
aged fifteen. I left England when I was twelve for various reasons. But
I was thinking of coming back to England to do my A-levels and courses
etc. The problem is that I don't know where to start at all. Do I need
to take me GCSEs first, can I start an A-levels course when I am
sixteen and will this be in a college or at a school and so on. I am a
bit confused about what to do and was wondering if anyone could help me
here. For extra information my mother is living in Scotland and my
father is Turkish. I have both citizenship of the United Kingdom and
also of the Republic of Turkey. Thanks in advance for any useful help.
Stuart Williams
2005-11-06 21:15:54 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Hello, I've been in Turkey for just over three years now and I am now
aged fifteen. I left England when I was twelve for various reasons. But
I was thinking of coming back to England to do my A-levels and courses
etc. The problem is that I don't know where to start at all. Do I need
to take me GCSEs first, can I start an A-levels course when I am
sixteen and will this be in a college or at a school and so on. I am a
bit confused about what to do and was wondering if anyone could help me
here. For extra information my mother is living in Scotland and my
father is Turkish. I have both citizenship of the United Kingdom and
also of the Republic of Turkey. Thanks in advance for any useful help.
Where will you live? If in Scotland, they have a quite different school
system from England's.

If England - I would hope that 6th form colleges would be flexible as to
your entry qualifications (which aren't all that demanding anyway).
Schools which are selective in the sixth form might be less enthusiastic.
I don't have any experience of taking people from the Turkish system, but
some schools in parts of London (Haringey or Enfield for example) with a
significant Turkish-speaking population might well have some kind of
equivalence table which would enable them to judge your strengths
accurately. I don't think taking GCSEs first would be required.

Stuart Williams
d***@gmail.com
2005-11-07 05:46:01 UTC
Yeah, I am not such a Turk, only been here for 3 years now and went to
school in England until then. Do you think it'd be possible to live on
my own in enfield or something in a youth hostal maybe (i was born in
north enfield)? But given my age, would they permit that?
Stuart Williams
2005-11-07 18:36:40 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Yeah, I am not such a Turk, only been here for 3 years now and went to
school in England until then. Do you think it'd be possible to live on
my own in enfield or something in a youth hostal maybe (i was born in
north enfield)? But given my age, would they permit that?
If I were you, I wouldn't try to do this on my own. Being a student is
hard work in practical terms when you're 18, but if you're 16 it will be
very demanding, especially in London. How would you manage financially,
for example? Unless you can stay with relatives, I wouldn't try it. Since
you haven't mentioned it, I guess you don't much want to stay with your
mother in Scotland, but that would be by far the best choice, assuming
you'd be welcome (I don't know her circumstances, of course).

Then again, could you continue in the Turkish system?

I feel I don't have quite enough information to give you sound advice.

Stuart Williams
d***@gmail.com
2005-11-08 21:31:09 UTC
My father would be giving me money ofcourse, and yes, i dont plan to
stay with my mother and i dont really have relatives that i could stay
with as i dont know any of them so well.
John Porcella
2005-11-08 16:08:00 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Hello, I've been in Turkey for just over three years now and I am now
aged fifteen. I left England when I was twelve for various reasons. But
I was thinking of coming back to England to do my A-levels and courses
etc. The problem is that I don't know where to start at all. Do I need
to take me GCSEs first,
Presumably you have taken school examinations in Turkey? These might be
acceptable to a sixth form college or to a school with a sixth form or to an
FE college with 16-19 'A' level provision.

The Scottish educational system is well regarded, but FE colleges might be
more flexible as to your previous knowledge and qualifications.
--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella
d***@gmail.com
2005-11-08 21:32:33 UTC
Well my whole reason for wanting to go back to England is actually the
difficulty of the subjects here, stuff that i will only learn in uni. I
dont really think that the grades i have here are really going to be
able to help me.