Experience with NEC A-levels
Mark
2005-10-11 11:54:55 UTC
Hi

I'm hoping to apply as a mature student (26) to start a degree in
October 2006. My sixth form A-level grades don't meet the requirements
but the course admissions tutor has said they may consider a conditional
offer if I take an A-level this year. I don't think I'll be able to
study at the local college due to work commitments so I'm thinking of
using NEC. Has anyone here used them? Any tips? Is a whole A-level,
part-time, in one year overambitious?

Cheers for any help,

Mark
Robert de Vincy
2005-10-11 15:47:28 UTC
Post by Mark
Hi
I'm hoping to apply as a mature student (26) to start a degree in
October 2006. My sixth form A-level grades don't meet the requirements
but the course admissions tutor has said they may consider a conditional
offer if I take an A-level this year. I don't think I'll be able to
study at the local college due to work commitments so I'm thinking of
using NEC. Has anyone here used them? Any tips? Is a whole A-level,
part-time, in one year overambitious?
Cheers for any help,
I took an NEC A level a few years ago and found everything to be really
excellent. It was Psychology and it was a full A-level (before the AS/
A2 split thing introduced in 2000). The course material was good and
the personal tutor was even better -- very enthusiastic and knowledgable.

The only real tip I think of is to get into a routine of doing regular
studying and working through the course. I found it waaaaaay too easy
to simply keep putting it off with a "I'll finish that chapter
tomorrow" excuse, and before you know it the next deadline for submitted
assessment is on you. This, of course, applies to all distance and
independent learning, not just NEC!
BdeV
Ginnie Redston
2005-10-11 17:43:06 UTC
Post by Mark
Hi
I'm hoping to apply as a mature student (26) to start a degree in
October 2006. My sixth form A-level grades don't meet the requirements
but the course admissions tutor has said they may consider a conditional
offer if I take an A-level this year. I don't think I'll be able to
study at the local college due to work commitments so I'm thinking of
using NEC. Has anyone here used them? Any tips? Is a whole A-level,
part-time, in one year overambitious?
Cheers for any help,
Mark
<Agreeing with Robert>

I did French A level through the NEC many many years ago and found them
excellent. The materials are well planned and the tutors very helpful. Just
make sure you keep sending in work regularly.

Ginnie
John Porcella
2005-10-12 22:27:17 UTC
Post by Mark
Hi
I'm hoping to apply as a mature student (26) to start a degree in
October 2006. My sixth form A-level grades don't meet the requirements
but the course admissions tutor has said they may consider a conditional
offer if I take an A-level this year. I don't think I'll be able to
study at the local college due to work commitments so I'm thinking of
using NEC. Has anyone here used them? Any tips? Is a whole A-level,
part-time, in one year overambitious?
Cheers for any help,
What is it you want to study?

If you cannot get time during the day to go to college, then why not use
your wages on a private tutor? The local Yellow Pages will list them.
--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella
Mark
2005-10-13 13:14:44 UTC
Post by John Porcella
Post by Mark
I'm hoping to apply as a mature student (26) to start a degree in
October 2006. My sixth form A-level grades don't meet the
requirements but the course admissions tutor has said they may
consider a conditional offer if I take an A-level this year. I don't
think I'll be able to study at the local college due to work
commitments so I'm thinking of using NEC. Has anyone here used them?
Any tips? Is a whole A-level, part-time, in one year overambitious?
What is it you want to study?
Biology to do an Environmental Science degree.
Post by John Porcella
If you cannot get time during the day to go to college, then why not
use your wages on a private tutor? The local Yellow Pages will list
them.
Hm, I hadn't considered that. My only worry is the potential cost.

One more NEC question: do they mark coursework? I can't find a definite
answer from their (quite disorganised) website.

Cheers,

Mark
John Porcella
2005-10-14 21:38:29 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by John Porcella
Post by Mark
I'm hoping to apply as a mature student (26) to start a degree in
October 2006. My sixth form A-level grades don't meet the
requirements but the course admissions tutor has said they may
consider a conditional offer if I take an A-level this year. I don't
think I'll be able to study at the local college due to work
commitments so I'm thinking of using NEC. Has anyone here used them?
Any tips? Is a whole A-level, part-time, in one year overambitious?
What is it you want to study?
Biology to do an Environmental Science degree.
Good luck with your application!
Post by Mark
Post by John Porcella
If you cannot get time during the day to go to college, then why not
use your wages on a private tutor? The local Yellow Pages will list
them.
Hm, I hadn't considered that. My only worry is the potential cost.
Indeed it might be an issue, but you would have to speak to an agency or a
tutor to find out how many hours would be needed and what the rate per hour
is. Mind you, it might put into better perspective the relative cheapness
of university fees (even at full charge).
--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella