UCAS admissions and AS level points
Tony Rickard
2005-06-18 15:46:39 UTC
My daughter needs to know if an AS level counts towards her total points for
uni admission. She has an AS level which is an additional subject to her
three A levels.

The university does not specifically exclude it, however, her other offers
refer to accepting it.

Is there a general rule (i.e. it is specifically excluded)

Cheers
Tony
Matthew Huntbach
2005-06-20 07:56:32 UTC
Post by Tony Rickard
My daughter needs to know if an AS level counts towards her total points for
uni admission. She has an AS level which is an additional subject to her
three A levels.
The university does not specifically exclude it, however, her other offers
refer to accepting it.
Is there a general rule (i.e. it is specifically excluded)
Cheers
Tony
There is no general rule. It is up to admissions tutors what they ask for.
It is wrong to suppose that admissions tutors just want an
accummulation of UCAS points and don't care how they are arrived at.

In my case I feel that three A-levels are enough and I don't want to
encourage students to do more than that by making offers which include
qualifications beyond three A-levels. There are justified complaints
that our sixth form students are being over-examined and do not have
time to do other things.

In my case, if it happens that someone is doing a useful AS-level and
a useless A-level, I might well make an offer whcih includes the
AS-level and excludes the A-level.

Matthew Huntbach
Alun Harford
2005-06-22 02:46:06 UTC
Post by Matthew Huntbach
There is no general rule. It is up to admissions tutors what they ask for.
It is wrong to suppose that admissions tutors just want an
accummulation of UCAS points and don't care how they are arrived at.
In my case I feel that three A-levels are enough and I don't want to
encourage students to do more than that by making offers which include
qualifications beyond three A-levels. There are justified complaints
that our sixth form students are being over-examined and do not have
time to do other things.
In my case, if it happens that someone is doing a useful AS-level and
a useless A-level, I might well make an offer whcih includes the
AS-level and excludes the A-level.
I think the OP wanted clarification of an OFFER, rarther than how to get an
offer.

Since nobody else has answered it, I'll have a go:
You'd need to ask the admissions tutor of the institution you are applying
to to be sure, but I *think* that if they don't mention it in the offer - it
doesn't form part of the offer and therefore "doesn't count".

Alun Harford
Matthew Huntbach
2005-06-22 09:58:38 UTC
Post by Alun Harford
Post by Matthew Huntbach
[...]
I was trying to explain the rationale behind the sort of offers his
daughter is getting, and also correcting a common misassumption.

If the offer just says "get X UCAS points" and nothing else, then, yes,
the UCAS points for the AS-level can be added to the UCAS points for the
three A-levels (so long as none of the A-levels are a continuation
of the AS-level) to make the total points.

In my case, I would always clarify what I want the UCAS points to be
in it would be "X points in the three A-levels" or "X points in these
two A-levels plus the AS-level". Perhaps the OP could confirm this
is what he means - most offers were of the form "X points in ..."
but one was just "X points".

Matthew Huntbach