Becky...
Samsonknight
2005-03-10 15:49:44 UTC
Hey Becky,

I am currently aware that you are studying theology at Oxbridge, and
considering that I am having to do a couple of modules in June - Judaism 2
and Synoptic. I was wondering, if you could recommend me any books on
Judaism that cover:

Covenants

The Holocaust - Jewish attitudes for why it happened.

Israel - Reasons for/against the creation of the state. e.g. Some are
against its creation because they believe that it should only be created
after the messiah comes. Others are for the creation, as it shows that G-D
has kept his promise with Moses.

Mystical side of Judaism - forgot its name! Chaism?

The reasons for the different sects in Judaism.

I have looked absolutely everywhere for a book that covers the AL course
content - EDEXCEL. I have had no luck, so I was wondering if you could
recommend me a book that is not over the top and gets straight to the
point - as well as being an interesting read :)

Thank you.
Rebecca Loader
2005-03-11 18:25:11 UTC
Post by Samsonknight
Hey Becky,
I am currently aware that you are studying theology at Oxbridge, and
considering that I am having to do a couple of modules in June - Judaism 2
and Synoptic. I was wondering, if you could recommend me any books on
Covenants
The Holocaust - Jewish attitudes for why it happened.
Israel - Reasons for/against the creation of the state. e.g. Some are
against its creation because they believe that it should only be created
after the messiah comes. Others are for the creation, as it shows that G-D
has kept his promise with Moses.
Mystical side of Judaism - forgot its name! Chaism?
The reasons for the different sects in Judaism.
Melanie Wright's book "Understanding Judaism" might be useful. She
supervised me in my first two years and her book is a good introduction to
issues to do with Judaism: the website for the Centre for Jewish-Christian
Relations says it contains chapters on: "Jewish identity and religious
diversity in the modern world (i.e., the different movements within
Judaism); Jewish law through the ages; Festivals, rites of passage, the
synagogue and dietary practices; Responses to the holocaust and the State of
Israel; Jewish/non-Jewish relations; Attitudes to the environment and
developments in medical science". I believe it's available on Amazon.

Nicholas De Lange's book "An Introduction to Judaism" (published Feb 2000, I
think - I think there's another just called "Judaism") is also quite a good
read. That's probably got something in it about the mystical branches and
it might be worth having a look to see if it's in your local library: it's
in mine at home.

I also have an essay on my computer from this time last year which contains
information on the creation of the state of Israel and some of the reasons
why some ultra-Orthodox Jews oppose its existence. It's not a brilliant
essay in terms of argument and structure, but the info should be good
enough. Let me know if you'd like me to send it to you.

Hope that helps,

Becky
Samsonknight
2005-03-14 19:22:53 UTC
Post by Rebecca Loader
[...]
Thank you for your email Becky. I looked at both of them books, and have
recently purchased "Judaism: A very short introduction" by Norman Soloman.
This book seems to get to the point, however I hope it is not too brief.

If possible , could you please send me your essay, as it may prove useful in
furthering my understanding in the subject.

Thanks,

Sam
Rebecca Loader
2005-03-16 18:05:47 UTC
Post by Samsonknight
Thank you for your email Becky. I looked at both of them books, and have
recently purchased "Judaism: A very short introduction" by Norman Soloman.
This book seems to get to the point, however I hope it is not too brief.
From what I remember - I had a browse through that in my first year - it's a
good introductory guide. I expect it'd be useful at A-level.
Post by Samsonknight
If possible , could you please send me your essay, as it may prove useful in
furthering my understanding in the subject.
On its way.

Becky