question(s)
flexiblegoat
2005-04-17 22:07:39 UTC
Hello.

Are the same sort of people around? How are they.

I was just wondering. How many syllables are there in the word
"hours"? I think its one, but I'm not sure.
Thank you.
Robert de Vincy
2005-04-17 22:18:27 UTC
Post by flexiblegoat
Hello.
Are the same sort of people around? How are they.
I was just wondering. How many syllables are there in the word
"hours"? I think its one, but I'm not sure.
Depends on your pronunciation, obviously! But the standard has two
peaks of sonority, so it's two syllables. A very extreme version of RP
often has just the one but that sounds silly and excessively "put on" to
me.
BdeV
Matt
2005-04-18 01:03:47 UTC
Post by Robert de Vincy
Post by flexiblegoat
Hello.
Are the same sort of people around? How are they.
I was just wondering. How many syllables are there in the word
"hours"? I think its one, but I'm not sure.
Depends on your pronunciation, obviously! But the standard has two
peaks of sonority, so it's two syllables. A very extreme version of RP
often has just the one but that sounds silly and excessively "put on" to
me.
Doesn't sound too silly to me -- especially if you ask for "ours". I don't
say it with one syllable myself, but it doesn't sound wrong or
particularly unusual.
flexiblegoat
2005-04-18 17:29:14 UTC
Post by Robert de Vincy
Post by flexiblegoat
Hello.
Are the same sort of people around? How are they.
I was just wondering. How many syllables are there in the word
"hours"? I think its one, but I'm not sure.
Depends on your pronunciation, obviously! But the standard has two
peaks of sonority, so it's two syllables. A very extreme version of RP
often has just the one but that sounds silly and excessively "put on" to
me.
--
BdeV
you're some sort of language student? so probably correct. This is
very annoying. I hate the idea of going over ten syllables a line. but
its done now. Pah. Humph. Grump.
JHP
its done now. Pah. Humph. Grump.
jrg
2005-04-24 11:07:32 UTC
I'm not around, but I do check about once a month in case someone posts
something interesting.

What are you doing now? Still working in that bookshop? I found a page
all about your bookshop with google, but maybe you're not there any
more.

When did I last speak to you? Depending how recently I last spoke to
you, things I have done are (in reverse chronological order)

- living in Norway
- living in York
- living with my parents
- living in America for 2 months
- living with my parents
- living in York
- graduated university

Feel free to email me some time (or even visit Oslo if you want), my
email address is:
james WHATMIGHTTHISCHARACTERBE???? jamesjrg ANOTHERMYSTERIOUSCHARACTER
com
Ian/Cath Ford
2005-04-24 23:09:35 UTC
Post by jrg
- living in Norway
That suggests you got the job??

Ian
--
Ian, Cath, Eoin and Calum Ford
Beccles, Suffolk, UK

I loved the word you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

There's no e-mail address. We can talk here and go back to your place later
Matt
2005-05-03 23:45:55 UTC
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Post by jrg
- living in Norway
That suggests you got the job??
Working for Opera? I bought version 8 on the day it was released :-),
excellent browser.
Matt
Ian/Cath Ford
2005-05-04 14:53:47 UTC
On Wed, 04 May 2005 00:45:55 +0100, Matt
Post by Matt
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Post by jrg
- living in Norway
That suggests you got the job??
Working for Opera? I bought version 8 on the day it was released :-),
excellent browser.
Does the paid version do anything much more than the freebie - other
than get rid of the not particularly annoying adds?

Ian

jrg
2005-05-07 13:41:55 UTC
Post by Matt
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Post by jrg
- living in Norway
That suggests you got the job??
Working for Opera? I bought version 8 on the day it was released :-),
excellent browser.
Does the paid version do anything much more than the freebie - other
than get rid of the not particularly annoying adds?
Oh wait, update:
- living in Sweden

I really need to stop moving house some time.

Yes, I am working at Opera. After a couple of weeks doing desktop stuff
I was moved to Sweden and made QA tester (some people in my position
call themselves "Test Manager" but given that my "team" consists only
of me "manager" is probably be bigging up my job a little too much) for
a Japanese version of Opera on a particular mobile phone. This is
despite the fact that I have never owned a mobile phone in my entire
life and understand neither Swedish nor Japanese.

I think if you pay for Opera you get free technical support or
something, but the main thing is that the ads are removed - it doesn't
add any functionality.

James