Mature students
suerobson
2005-10-25 14:58:56 UTC
Back in 1968 it was not unusual to leave school without formal examinations.
A school leaving certificate was adequate, as many school leavers went
straight into employment. However, I now find I wish to apply for a job
which insists on written proof of GCSE's (or equivalent).
At 52 years of age, I need to find a very quick way of getting some kind of
certificates in basic English & Maths. I did go on to further education at a
Secretarial College but of course, I did not sit the usual GCE's. Any ideas
on a solution to this problem, remembering that time is not on my side??
Caroline
2005-10-25 16:29:42 UTC
Sue

I am not sure what the course is called, but my sister was able to sit and
pass a Maths GCSE equivalent (for similar reasons) in a week at Easter (I
think, it was a crash course). She is 52 :) I'll try to find out from her
what it was.

Caroline
John Porcella
2005-10-28 12:27:24 UTC
Post by suerobson
Back in 1968 it was not unusual to leave school without formal
examinations.

Interesting!

Perhaps I am being too cynical, but I wonder if many now leave with
certificates, but are frankly worthless ones.
Post by suerobson
A school leaving certificate was adequate, as many school leavers went
straight into employment. However, I now find I wish to apply for a job
which insists on written proof of GCSE's (or equivalent).
Really?
Post by suerobson
At 52 years of age, I need to find a very quick way of getting some kind of
certificates in basic English & Maths. I did go on to further education at a
Secretarial College but of course, I did not sit the usual GCE's. Any ideas
on a solution to this problem, remembering that time is not on my side??
A private tutor for each of English and mathematics should get you through
in less than one year.
--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella
Ian/Cath Ford
2005-10-30 20:54:31 UTC
Post by suerobson
Back in 1968 it was not unusual to leave school without formal examinations.
A school leaving certificate was adequate, as many school leavers went
straight into employment. However, I now find I wish to apply for a job
which insists on written proof of GCSE's (or equivalent).
First off, do they absolutely and utterly insist? Can you give thema
ring and explain that you have experience rather than qualifications?
Might be worth a go, or you might have already done this.

If you do need the bits of paper, give your local FE college a call.
They're bound to have loads of stuff like this.

Ian
--
Ian, Cath, Eoin and Calum Ford
Beccles, Suffolk, UK

I loved the word you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

There's no e-mail address. We can talk here and go back to your place later