I want to do some a-levels, NOW!
a***@mailinator.com
2005-07-18 18:31:06 UTC
Hi there,

I need to know if I can sit some a-levels in entirety as soon as
possible. The trouble is that I'm finding it very difficult to find out
how possible this is. No-one seems to be able to sit down with me and
confirm my vague findings or tell me where I should be looking - so I
was wondering if any of you might be able to shed some light on my
questions.

I will try and set out my questions clearly so they will hopefully be
easier to answer rather than just asking for 'general advice'... here
goes..

1) I am assuming that I'll have to wait until January, since exams only
seem to run in January and June. Is this correct or can I sit an
a-level sooner?

2) From my research, January looks to be for the purpose of sitting
'some' subject modules...what I'm not sure about is whether it is
possible to do ALL modules in one sitting - looking over an AQA
(examining board) timetable, it seems that quite often modules for the
same subject run at the same time if they are A/S and A2. Is it
possible to sit all 6 (or whatever) modules in one go? How are exam
timetable clashes dealt with?

3) I am looking to sit as a private candidate, and am unsure how much
the exam centre/local college permitting me to sit with their students,
has a part to play... specifically in regard to my next question

4) Many subjects are comprised of 6 modules, but often one of those is
100% coursework assessed - like some kind of final project. How is this
done if sitting as an external candidate? Does the examining board send
me a question and I just submit my work back to them? Or perhaps I
submit my coursework to the centre where I sit exams? How would the
length of time given to me to complete this be dictated? Is it possible
to opt out of the coursework module and do another exam module instead?

5) OK so, assuming I can sit an entire a-level (or more?) in January
(or sooner!?), what would be my next step? Can I arrange exam entry,
book a place in an exam hall for all the required exams, sort out
coursework, and find the syllabus and past papers all in one go? If not
are there any clues as to in which order, and from where/who I should
make enquiries too about going about this?

I don't want to pay out for distance learning courses which seem to
organise all this for you, since I am reasonably sure that I can sit
these qualifications without too much effort in quite a short space of
time, and don't want to pay for the learning materials (I just want to
sit the exams). I'm thinking of doing Computing, Law, and maybe
Economics - so I assume that I won't need any special conditions, i.e.
there is unlikely to be any practical exams and so don't need to look
for a special exam centre with lab apparatus; as maybe you'd need for
chem or something like that.

I hope I have covered everything, if there are any glaringly obvious
points that I'm missing out I would really appreciate some words of
wisdom that anyone might want to offer :)

Thanks again

AEK
Stuart Williams
2005-07-19 17:30:38 UTC
Post by a***@mailinator.com
1) I am assuming that I'll have to wait until January, since exams only
seem to run in January and June. Is this correct or can I sit an
a-level sooner?
No, Jan is the earliest available session.
Post by a***@mailinator.com
2) From my research, January looks to be for the purpose of sitting
'some' subject modules...what I'm not sure about is whether it is
possible to do ALL modules in one sitting - looking over an AQA
(examining board) timetable, it seems that quite often modules for the
same subject run at the same time if they are A/S and A2. Is it
possible to sit all 6 (or whatever) modules in one go? How are exam
timetable clashes dealt with?
If all 6 are available, there won't be any timetable clash between them
(though they may clash with some other Board's modules). Some subjects
don't offer all 6 modules in the January session, however.
Post by a***@mailinator.com
3) I am looking to sit as a private candidate, and am unsure how much
the exam centre/local college permitting me to sit with their students,
has a part to play... specifically in regard to my next question
4) Many subjects are comprised of 6 modules, but often one of those is
100% coursework assessed - like some kind of final project. How is this
done if sitting as an external candidate? Does the examining board send
me a question and I just submit my work back to them? Or perhaps I
submit my coursework to the centre where I sit exams? How would the
length of time given to me to complete this be dictated? Is it possible
to opt out of the coursework module and do another exam module instead?
I see that later on you want to do Computing (are you sure you don't mean
ICT?). There will presumably be some coursework in this. In general, no
Board will accept a private candidate where there is a compulsory and
substantial coursework element (since there's no way to guarantee that
it's the candidate's sole work). You'll have to check the syllabuses
("specifications") carefully, just in case I'm wrong. For Economics I
know there's no problem, and Law I guess is the same.
Post by a***@mailinator.com
5) OK so, assuming I can sit an entire a-level (or more?) in January
(or sooner!?), what would be my next step? Can I arrange exam entry,
book a place in an exam hall for all the required exams, sort out
coursework, and find the syllabus and past papers all in one go? If not
are there any clues as to in which order, and from where/who I should
make enquiries too about going about this?
First choose your Board for each subject. Then contact local schools to
see if they accept candidates for that particular Board and
specification. The Boards' websites have all the detail you would need
(but read closely whether they allow private candidates, as indicated
above).
Post by a***@mailinator.com
I don't want to pay out for distance learning courses which seem to
organise all this for you, since I am reasonably sure that I can sit
these qualifications without too much effort in quite a short space of
time, and don't want to pay for the learning materials (I just want to
sit the exams). I'm thinking of doing Computing, Law, and maybe
Economics - so I assume that I won't need any special conditions, i.e.
there is unlikely to be any practical exams and so don't need to look
for a special exam centre with lab apparatus; as maybe you'd need for
chem or something like that.
HTH
Stuart Williams
a***@mailinator.com
2005-07-19 19:02:56 UTC
Wonderful, thanks very much :)

With regard to choosing a Board is there much between them? On what
criteria should my decisions be made? As far as I can tell there seems
to be three main boards to choose from in England, those being AQA,
EdExcel, and OCR - are there any more I should consider?

I am definitely sure I would rather do Computing than ICT as my prev
background suits this, but ICT looks looks doable, unfortunalty both
seem to require a large element of coursework - having received an info
pack from AQA they seem to say that 'some' of their centres will
supervise coursework modules, although I don't know how they manage
time constraints with that, I guess I'll have to ask them :)

Andy
Stuart Williams
John Porcella
2005-07-19 22:26:27 UTC
Post by a***@mailinator.com
Wonderful, thanks very much :)
With regard to choosing a Board is there much between them?
They are all overseen by the QCA, so in theory the standards should be the
same.

On what
Post by a***@mailinator.com
criteria should my decisions be made?
The one with the syllabi that interest you the most.

Post by a***@mailinator.com
to be three main boards to choose from in England, those being AQA,
EdExcel, and OCR - are there any more I should consider?
These are the main ones in England.
Post by a***@mailinator.com
I am definitely sure I would rather do Computing than ICT as my prev
background suits this, but ICT looks looks doable, unfortunalty both
seem to require a large element of coursework - having received an info
pack from AQA they seem to say that 'some' of their centres will
supervise coursework modules, although I don't know how they manage
time constraints with that, I guess I'll have to ask them :)
"Time constraints"?
--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella
Stuart Williams
2005-07-20 17:20:33 UTC
Post by a***@mailinator.com
Wonderful, thanks very much :)
With regard to choosing a Board is there much between them? On what
criteria should my decisions be made? As far as I can tell there seems
to be three main boards to choose from in England, those being AQA,
EdExcel, and OCR - are there any more I should consider?
Although what Mr Porcella says is officially true, there are differences
between the Boards: QCA does its best, but it is very widely believed
that AQA Business Studies is significantly easier than the alternatives,
for example. Some people have claimed that OCR is slightly more rigorous
than the other two, but I doubt that there's much in it in practice. I
can certainly recommend OCR Economics, having taught it for over 30
years: papers are invariably fair and the marking is reasonably reliable.

SW
Ian/Cath Ford
2005-07-20 19:03:21 UTC
Post by a***@mailinator.com
With regard to choosing a Board is there much between them? On what
criteria should my decisions be made? As far as I can tell there seems
to be three main boards to choose from in England, those being AQA,
EdExcel, and OCR - are there any more I should consider?
One consideration: whenever I ring up AQA and ask to speak to someone
in Geography (which I teach...) I get to speak to someone in geography
- a real human being who either knows what they're talking about or
will find out for me what I want to know and get back to me (or post
it to me; I usually get it the day after I ring).

Whenever I ring up Edexcel I get through to a call centre and am
specifically not allowed to talk to someone in Geography.

I don't have to ring up OCR - although I may well do so tomorrow as we
have a new course starting. I'll let you know how they are.

You will almost certainly want/need to talk to an exam board person.
Imo I would avoid Edexcel like the damned plague.

I should add, at this point, that I do some work for AQA and that I
have a pretty major set of problems with Edexcel. Essentially, I'm
biased.

Good luck. You should probably bear in mind that the AS modules are
relatively easier and the A2 modules can be quite hard. Make sure, as
well, that you take a look at ppast exam papers and, preferably, mark
schemes and examiners reports. These will tell you, obviously, what
the questions are, but will also let you figure out what sorts of
important things to understand - especially if you consider that
already know lots of the stuff that you'd be expected to be aware of.
Applying it right to the questions is probably more important for you.

What, btw, do you intend doing with these A levels?

Ian
--
Ian, Cath, Eoin and Calum Ford
Beccles, Suffolk, UK

I loved the word you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

There's no e-mail address. We can talk here and go back to your place later
Samsonknight
2005-07-20 21:57:11 UTC
<snip>
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Good luck. You should probably bear in mind that the AS modules are
relatively easier and the A2 modules can be quite hard. Make sure, as
well, that you take a look at ppast exam papers and, preferably, mark
schemes and examiners reports. These will tell you, obviously, what
the questions are, but will also let you figure out what sorts of
important things to understand - especially if you consider that
already know lots of the stuff that you'd be expected to be aware of.
Applying it right to the questions is probably more important for you.
Yes beware indeed. From doing AL maths in a year, I must say that the jump
from AS to A2 was so hard. Primarily because to do well in any maths module,
you have to be totally slick at that module in every module - relatively
hard due to time constraints (theres only so much you can be slick at in a
year), and the constant yo-yoing between the applied and pure modules can be
hard to manage.

Anyhow I enjoyed it all. It was hard, but well worth the experience. As I
now am able to treat mathematics as it should be treated, rather then a
subject that is done to get into a "good university".
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
What, btw, do you intend doing with these A levels?
I have not read all the threads, rather skimmed through them. If you do
decide to do Mathematics, my only advice to you is to make sure your GCSE
maths is solid before september , and work on basic calculus and trig
identities now. They can get tricky in the latter part of the course.

Good Luck.
Mark Thakkar
2005-07-21 08:25:35 UTC
Ian,
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
You will almost certainly want/need to talk to an exam board person.
Imo I would avoid Edexcel like the damned plague.
I should add, at this point, that I do some work for AQA and that I
have a pretty major set of problems with Edexcel. Essentially, I'm
biased.
As a sometime employee of Edexcel, I couldn't agree more.

Mark.

John Porcella
2005-07-19 22:22:47 UTC
Post by a***@mailinator.com
1) I am assuming that I'll have to wait until January, since exams only
seem to run in January and June. Is this correct or can I sit an
a-level sooner?
January and May/June are the usual examination periods.
Post by a***@mailinator.com
2) From my research, January looks to be for the purpose of sitting
'some' subject modules...what I'm not sure about is whether it is
possible to do ALL modules in one sitting - looking over an AQA
(examining board) timetable, it seems that quite often modules for the
same subject run at the same time if they are A/S and A2. Is it
possible to sit all 6 (or whatever) modules in one go?
Yes, if you have the stamina.

How are exam
Post by a***@mailinator.com
timetable clashes dealt with?
Somebody watches over you so that you do not contact another candidate who
has taken a paper earlier.
Post by a***@mailinator.com
3) I am looking to sit as a private candidate, and am unsure how much
the exam centre/local college permitting me to sit with their students,
has a part to play... specifically in regard to my next question
Go to the Edexcel website and you will find a list of centres allowing
private candidates.
Post by a***@mailinator.com
4) Many subjects are comprised of 6 modules, but often one of those is
100% coursework assessed - like some kind of final project. How is this
done if sitting as an external candidate?
In AQA Business Studies there IS a piece of coursework, but candidates can
choose a paper instead. Not all subjects are this flexible. You would have
to enrol on a course at a college to get a tutor/teacher to mark your
coursework.

Post by a***@mailinator.com
me a question and I just submit my work back to them?
Nope! A teacher marks it.

Or perhaps I
Post by a***@mailinator.com
submit my coursework to the centre where I sit exams? How would the
length of time given to me to complete this be dictated?
It would depend on when you enrolled at a college.

Is it possible
Post by a***@mailinator.com
to opt out of the coursework module and do another exam module instead?
Depends...see my answer above.
Post by a***@mailinator.com
5) OK so, assuming I can sit an entire a-level (or more?)
Yes.

in January

Yes.
Post by a***@mailinator.com
(or sooner!?),
No.

what would be my next step?

Contact a centre that is happy to have private candidates.

Can I arrange exam entry,
Post by a***@mailinator.com
book a place in an exam hall for all the required exams, sort out
coursework, and find the syllabus and past papers all in one go?
Not really, unless you enrolled on a course.

If not
Post by a***@mailinator.com
are there any clues as to in which order, and from where/who I should
make enquiries too about going about this?
Contact the Help Desk of Edexcel.
Post by a***@mailinator.com
I don't want to pay out for distance learning courses which seem to
organise all this for you, since I am reasonably sure that I can sit
these qualifications without too much effort in quite a short space of
time, and don't want to pay for the learning materials (I just want to
sit the exams). I'm thinking of doing Computing, Law, and maybe
Economics - so I assume that I won't need any special conditions, i.e.
there is unlikely to be any practical exams and so don't need to look
for a special exam centre with lab apparatus; as maybe you'd need for
chem or something like that.
Okay.
--
MESSAGE ENDS.