Re doing an old AS
mo
2005-01-10 00:11:13 UTC
Hi
I am currently in the second year of my degree - however I did an AS
Critical Thinking in 2000 which I got an E in (which always bugged me as I
though it was quite easy!)

I was wondering would it be possible for me to go back in June and resit
that one exam (iirc its just one long 3 hour exam) at my old college (or
pref another one) and get the result back in Aug as normal? I have nothing
to lose really as I dont even list it in my qualifications........but it may
come in handy as If i can raise it by 1 or 2 grades it will add some UCAS
points on (which is why i am considering it)

Cant really remember much about it now - has the curriculum changed much
since then? I am pretty sure my exams at Uni finish by may so I will have
about a month of hardcore time to go over stuff...

An 'E' is worth just 1 UCAS point, I actually only wnat to raise it by 1 to
a 'D' but more probably I wanna aim for a C at least. What are the chances
for someone who has been out of the game for so long (i did understand
everything at the time pretty well, not sure what happened in the exam for
me to score loads, i wrote enough - i probably answered the wrong question
or something!!)

Cheers
mo
2005-01-10 00:46:13 UTC
The exam is with OCR on Weds 25th May (still a total of 3 hours in one
session)

I will now be a 'private candidate' which is all fine - I should be able to
arrange an exam with any local colleges...

Question now is should i declare I have done this subject before or will the
new one 'overwrite' it (my old ocllege would know anyway)
John Porcella
2005-01-10 10:59:17 UTC
Post by mo
The exam is with OCR on Weds 25th May (still a total of 3 hours in one
session)
I will now be a 'private candidate' which is all fine - I should be able to
arrange an exam with any local colleges...
Question now is should i declare I have done this subject before or will the
new one 'overwrite' it (my old ocllege would know anyway)
On your CV you simply put the best grade.
--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella
Robert de Vincy
2005-01-10 07:43:05 UTC
Post by mo
Hi
I am currently in the second year of my degree - however I did an AS
Critical Thinking in 2000 which I got an E in (which always bugged me
as I though it was quite easy!)
I was wondering would it be possible for me to go back in June and
resit that one exam (iirc its just one long 3 hour exam) at my old
college (or pref another one) and get the result back in Aug as
normal? I have nothing to lose really as I dont even list it in my
qualifications........but it may come in handy as If i can raise it by
1 or 2 grades it will add some UCAS points on (which is why i am
considering it)
Whyever would you want to raise your UCAS points score when you've already
successfully gone through the UCAS system?

The UCAS points are meaningless outside of the system, you know. It's
not like people are assigned roles in life by their UCAS score. As the
name suggests, it's a UCAS system-internal score. And even then, if
you read some of the comments from regular ATs who post here, the score
is often ignored on applications in favour of picking people who have
done the appropriate/applicable subjects for a degree course, rather than
those who merely got the highest UCAS points accummulated.

So, the question is, why are you wanting to raise your UCAS points at
this stage in your educational development? Fair enough, re-do the
exam because you want a better grade to list on your CV or because you
liked the subject, but merely wanting to go up a few points on some
arbitrary system that you will probably no longer need, as the main
motivation... ?
Strange.
BdeV
John Porcella
2005-01-10 10:58:30 UTC
Post by mo
Hi
I am currently in the second year of my degree - however I did an AS
Critical Thinking in 2000 which I got an E in (which always bugged me as I
though it was quite easy!)
The marking is quite strict...you have to have what the examiners have in
their answer guide.

I too thought that it was quite easy, apart from the multiple choice which
is quite tough even when not working to an examination timetable.

I got a middling grade B the first time and a low grade A the second time
around. The reason for my improvement was that I practiced the multiple
choice questions like mad for the second time around. However, I always
managed As in the written parts anyway.
Post by mo
I was wondering would it be possible for me to go back in June and resit
that one exam (iirc its just one long 3 hour exam) at my old college (or
pref another one) and get the result back in Aug as normal?
You can resit the examination, but you have to take the lot, it is not
really modular.

I have nothing
Post by mo
to lose really as I dont even list it in my qualifications........but it may
come in handy as If i can raise it by 1 or 2 grades it will add some UCAS
points on (which is why i am considering it)
Fine.
Post by mo
Cant really remember much about it now - has the curriculum changed much
since then? I am pretty sure my exams at Uni finish by may so I will have
about a month of hardcore time to go over stuff...
An 'E' is worth just 1 UCAS point, I actually only wnat to raise it by 1 to
a 'D' but more probably I wanna aim for a C at least. What are the chances
for someone who has been out of the game for so long (i did understand
everything at the time pretty well, not sure what happened in the exam for
me to score loads, i wrote enough - i probably answered the wrong question
or something!!)
Wrong answer, not wrong question!

The trick is to practice.

Good luck.