A-level by evening/weekend courses
JCB
2005-08-14 14:40:24 UTC
The whole A-level setup seems to directed toward year 12/13 students
doing courses at their local school or sixth-form college.

Can anyone tell me how I can find out about evening or weekend courses
leading to A-level in my area (Nottingham) or through online or
distance learning?

Thanks
Robert de Vincy
2005-08-16 08:25:40 UTC
Post by JCB
The whole A-level setup seems to directed toward year 12/13 students
doing courses at their local school or sixth-form college.
Can anyone tell me how I can find out about evening or weekend courses
leading to A-level in my area (Nottingham) or through online or
distance learning?
For distance learning, two places that I've had experience with are:

National Extension College:
http://www.nec.ac.uk/
I did Psychology A Level there, and the assigned tutor was incredibly
helpful and enthusiastic about her subject. The learning materials
I received were excellent, too.

Oxford Open Learning:
http://www.ool.co.uk/
I attempted to do the A2 for English Language, but they weren't too
knowledgeable about if their course would be the right one to do
after getting the AS English Language with Edexcel. Still... if
you're starting out from fresh at the AS stage, I guess that should
not be a problem.

For both places, it is up to the student to find a local college or
approved exam centre in which to take the exams and, more crucially,
that will offer coursework assessment for external candidates. I
found that not all colleges will do coursework assessment for people
not enrolled in one of their part-time or full-time courses.
BdeV
John Porcella
2005-08-26 02:27:12 UTC
Post by JCB
The whole A-level setup seems to directed toward year 12/13 students
doing courses at their local school or sixth-form college.
Can anyone tell me how I can find out about evening or weekend courses
leading to A-level in my area (Nottingham) or through online or
distance learning?
Thanks
Contact your local Further Education (FE) college.
--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella
Ian/Cath Ford
2005-08-26 19:12:13 UTC
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 02:27:12 +0000 (UTC), "John Porcella"
Post by John Porcella
Post by JCB
The whole A-level setup seems to directed toward year 12/13 students
doing courses at their local school or sixth-form college.
Can anyone tell me how I can find out about evening or weekend courses
leading to A-level in my area (Nottingham) or through online or
distance learning?
Contact your local Further Education (FE) college.
http://www.ncn.ac.uk/

Looks as if it will probably do the job. Iirc the govt are pulling
money for anyone 19+ fairly soon - there was lots of talk about adult
courses being cut at the college I did a part time course at the last
3 years. May be worth getting in now to make sure - I know the course
that I did will take it's last entry this year.

Ian
--
Ian, Cath, Eoin and Calum Ford
Beccles, Suffolk, UK

I loved the word you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

There's no e-mail address. We can talk here and go back to your place later
John Porcella
2005-08-27 10:00:50 UTC
Post by John Porcella
Post by JCB
The whole A-level setup seems to directed toward year 12/13 students
doing courses at their local school or sixth-form college.
Can anyone tell me how I can find out about evening or weekend courses
leading to A-level in my area (Nottingham) or through online or
distance learning?
Contact your local Further Education (FE) college.
http://www.ncn.ac.uk/
Looks as if it will probably do the job. Iirc the govt are pulling
money for anyone 19+ fairly soon - there was lots of talk about adult
courses being cut at the college I did a part time course at the last
3 years. May be worth getting in now to make sure - I know the course
that I did will take *it's* last entry this year.
Ian
--
Ian, Cath, Eoin and Calum Ford
Beccles, Suffolk, UK
Good response...but "it's"?
--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella
Ian/Cath Ford
2005-08-27 10:16:21 UTC
On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 10:00:50 +0000 (UTC), "John Porcella"
Post by John Porcella
Good response...but "it's"?
Im generally shit with apostraphe's.

Happened to read in the TES some of the literacy and numeracy
questions they have to answer now to become qualified teachers. Wow -
if a row of seats for assembly seats 20 children how many rows will be
needed for 465 (or similar). Answer: this is a non-teaching task - ask
the fucking caretaker: it's what she gets paid for...

Ian

John Porcella
2005-08-29 02:09:56 UTC
Post by John Porcella
Good response...but "it's"?
Im generally shit with apostraphe's.
Happened to read in the TES some of the literacy and numeracy
questions they have to answer now to become qualified teachers. Wow -
if a row of seats for assembly seats 20 children how many rows will be
needed for 465 (or similar). Answer: this is a non-teaching task - ask
the fucking caretaker: it's what she gets paid for...
In studying for my PGCE last year, I had to take the new(ish) tests of
literacy, numeracy and IT. I was shocked that graduates could fail these,
but, the staff at the test centre told me that many do!
--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella
Stuart Williams
2005-08-28 21:16:51 UTC
Still looking forward to your rebuttal of posts by Andy Walker, Katy
Edgcombe, and two lurkers who decloaked solely in order to join in the
lambasting of your teaching ambitions. Hope it hasn't slipped your mind.

Stuart Williams
John Porcella
2005-08-29 02:06:35 UTC
Post by Stuart Williams
Still looking forward to your rebuttal of posts by Andy Walker, Katy
Edgcombe, and two lurkers who decloaked solely in order to join in the
lambasting of your teaching ambitions. Hope it hasn't slipped your mind.
Stuart Williams
I have been on holiday (USA) which was almost spoilt by loads of errors with
apostrophes! The disease is spreading.

As for rebuttals, I thought that I had!
--
MESSAGE ENDS.