Happy New Year
Ginnie Redston
2004-12-31 23:23:58 UTC
... to everyone (and good luck with any offers still pending).

:-)

Ginnie
Samsonknight
2005-01-02 01:15:33 UTC
You too! What did you do for your new years , i sat home and revised ....
Ginnie Redston
2005-01-02 08:41:22 UTC
Post by Samsonknight
Post by Ginnie Redston
... to everyone (and good luck with any offers still pending).
:-)
Ginnie
You too! What did you do for your new years , i sat home and revised ....
Hmmm, well I stared at a load of coursework marking that I've got as far as
setting out on my kitchen table, but then got various "Happy New Year"
phonecalls and ended up by curling up in front of the fire and telly.

I'm sure all this revision will serve you well when the exams come round...
when are the papers?

Ginnie
Samsonknight
2005-01-02 15:55:49 UTC
Post by Ginnie Redston
Post by Samsonknight
Post by Ginnie Redston
... to everyone (and good luck with any offers still pending).
:-)
Ginnie
You too! What did you do for your new years , i sat home and revised ....
Hmmm, well I stared at a load of coursework marking that I've got as far
as setting out on my kitchen table, but then got various "Happy New Year"
phonecalls and ended up by curling up in front of the fire and telly.
I'm sure all this revision will serve you well when the exams come
round... when are the papers?
Ginnie
Just kidding, I went out partying on New Years, and my papers are on the
10th and 19th... C1 then C2 Maths units.

I hope that the revision I have done so far will serve me well, but then
again, I don't want to be confident and then be disappointed once the grades
come out as anything can happen.

What currently worries me is the speed I am learning AL maths in, it is all
happening all very fast; prior to this year (Sept 2004) , I have had to
relearn very basic mathematics as the last time I had touched any form of
maths was 2 years ago. On top of that, I have had to learn two AL mathematic
modules in the space of 4 months. So therefore ,under these circumstances,
what naturally concerns me is that I really just hope that I wont forget
important procedures once I am sat in the examination hall. Binomial
Expansion is particularly worrying for me, not because of its difficulty,
but because of the lengthly procedure involved.

Anyway, we shall see and may the force be with me.
Sally Clough
2005-01-05 16:25:38 UTC
Post by Samsonknight
important procedures once I am sat in the examination hall. Binomial
Expansion is particularly worrying for me, not because of its difficulty,
but because of the lengthly procedure involved.
:-) When I were a lass it was in the formula book, which saved my skin (I
can't remember anything for the life of me, which is why I do maths) Is
it not there nowadays?

Sally
Samsonknight
Yes but I am not sure which formulas are included in the formula book.
Alun Harford
2005-01-06 17:40:34 UTC
Post by Samsonknight
Yes but I am not sure which formulas are included in the formula book.
Then get a copy of the formula book and have a look!

Alun
Stuart Williams
2005-01-06 17:43:42 UTC
Post by Samsonknight
Post by Sally Clough
Post by Samsonknight
important procedures once I am sat in the examination hall. Binomial
Expansion is particularly worrying for me, not because of its difficulty,
but because of the lengthly procedure involved.
:-) When I were a lass it was in the formula book, which saved my skin (I
can't remember anything for the life of me, which is why I do maths) Is
it not there nowadays?
Sally
Yes but I am not sure which formulas are included in the formula book.
You can download a copy from the appropriate Board's website. Certainly,
the Edexcel booklet has the Binomial Expansion (both versions).

SW
n***@trionetworks.com
2005-01-06 19:19:20 UTC
Hi Ginnie, happy new year!

Nora
Ginnie Redston
2005-01-16 08:35:54 UTC
Post by n***@trionetworks.com
Hi Ginnie, happy new year!
Nora
Ooh hiya! How's things with the youngest O?

Ginnie
JHP
2005-01-10 16:47:52 UTC
Happy New Year to everybody from a returning JHP!
Just when you though it was safe....
Ian/Cath Ford
2005-01-10 19:36:15 UTC
Post by JHP
Happy New Year to everybody from a returning JHP!
Just when you though it was safe....
Bloody hell - how the devil are you and your chair?

I owe Ginnie a message congratulating her on her almond paste as well.
I must get round to that...

Ian
--
Ian, Cath, Eoin and Calum Ford
Beccles, Suffolk, UK

I loved the word you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

There's no e-mail address. We can talk here and go back to your place later
GinnieRedston
2005-01-12 06:08:52 UTC
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Post by JHP
Happy New Year to everybody from a returning JHP!
Just when you though it was safe....
Bloody hell - how the devil are you and your chair?
I owe Ginnie a message congratulating her on her almond paste as well.
I must get round to that...
Ian
That's OK - I even made a red cabbage and apple bake for the first time for
ages the other day.

Still eating the cake.

:-)

Ginnie
Ian/Cath Ford
2005-01-12 19:58:25 UTC
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:08:52 -0000, "GinnieRedston"
Post by GinnieRedston
That's OK - I even made a red cabbage and apple bake for the first time for
ages the other day.
That sounds nice - the bake idea is interesting for that. Do you keep
the colour OK?
Post by GinnieRedston
Still eating the cake.
*What*! Ours went by New Year - too good to keep lieing around you
know :-)

Btw, the lemon posset is far too good to feed to kiddies - makes an
excellent light pud for after something like a rich pasta dish. Even
better if served with some frangipane or something - it's like a
deconstructed trifle sort of thing....

Is John moving to Southampton then? I bet boats come into it if he
is...

Ian

GinnieRedston
2005-01-13 05:58:08 UTC
Post by GinnieRedston
That's OK - I even made a red cabbage and apple bake for the first time for
ages the other day.
That sounds nice - the bake idea is interesting for that. Do you keep
the colour OK?
Yup, the colour stays fine - it's basically a Delia Smith with variations.
(More garlic; must use muscovado sugar, and cider vinegar is better than red
wine vinegar)
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Post by GinnieRedston
Still eating the cake.
*What*! Ours went by New Year - too good to keep lieing around you
know :-)
The trouble is I'm only one who likes it! And it's was so thoroughly
brandied before I iced it that it seems to get better with age. Mind you,
I'm down to the last third now.
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Btw, the lemon posset is far too good to feed to kiddies - makes an
excellent light pud for after something like a rich pasta dish. Even
better if served with some frangipane or something - it's like a
deconstructed trifle sort of thing....
Ooh, I wouldn't mind the recipe for that, if you ever get the time...
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Is John moving to Southampton then? I bet boats come into it if he
is...
Ian
I expect they made him an offer that was too good to refuse - I mean, a
chair AND a good harbour, how could the man say no?

:-)

Ginnie
Ian/Cath Ford
2005-01-16 21:25:30 UTC
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 05:58:08 -0000, "GinnieRedston"
Post by GinnieRedston
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Btw, the lemon posset is far too good to feed to kiddies - makes an
Ooh, I wouldn't mind the recipe for that, if you ever get the time...
Such an easy recipe that it's almost embarrassing:

900ml double cream
250g caster sugar
juice of 3 lemons (I usually zest them as well to get it a bit
funkier)

Boil the cream and sugar together for 2-3 minutes. Add the lemon juice
and stir. Cool it a bit and stick it in something interesting - I use
small champagne flutes (2/3 of the recipe fills about 5 iirc). Stick
int in the fridge to set.

Soooooo simple. Mr Rhodes (whose recipe it is) suggests flooding the
top of the glass with liquid cream before serving.

Can't go wrong - make it tonight.

If you want the other bits to go with it I have them somewhere, but
they're a little more complex to write up here - they'd come via
e-mail.

As for John - he teases us with an article and then buggers off again.
Typical eh?

Ian

GinnieRedston
2005-01-16 23:20:02 UTC
Post by GinnieRedston
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Btw, the lemon posset is far too good to feed to kiddies - makes an
Ooh, I wouldn't mind the recipe for that, if you ever get the time...
900ml double cream
250g caster sugar
juice of 3 lemons (I usually zest them as well to get it a bit
funkier)
Boil the cream and sugar together for 2-3 minutes. Add the lemon juice
and stir. Cool it a bit and stick it in something interesting - I use
small champagne flutes (2/3 of the recipe fills about 5 iirc). Stick
int in the fridge to set.
Soooooo simple. Mr Rhodes (whose recipe it is) suggests flooding the
top of the glass with liquid cream before serving.
Can't go wrong - make it tonight.
I'll definitely try it next time I have people round to supper!
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
If you want the other bits to go with it I have them somewhere, but
they're a little more complex to write up here - they'd come via
e-mail.
Just the basics will do for now, thanks!
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
As for John - he teases us with an article and then buggers off again.
Typical eh?
That's right - keeps us guessing!

Ginnie
Ian/Cath Ford
2005-01-17 19:53:09 UTC
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:20:02 -0000, "GinnieRedston"
Post by GinnieRedston
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
If you want the other bits to go with it I have them somewhere, but
they're a little more complex to write up here - they'd come via
e-mail.
Just the basics will do for now, thanks!
You want something with them mind - Langue de Chat would be nice if
you can get hold of them, or tuille for that matter. You could dip
then and the flavour of either would work nicely I think. There's a
French company which makes nice Langues. Or those gingery Belgium
things - specaloos iirc. Ginger and lemon is kind of funky - I
remember a dehydrated pudding we used to take walking that was a bit
like that...

Ian

Rebecca Loader
2005-01-17 00:53:50 UTC
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
900ml double cream
250g caster sugar
juice of 3 lemons (I usually zest them as well to get it a bit
funkier)
Boil the cream and sugar together for 2-3 minutes. Add the lemon juice
and stir. Cool it a bit and stick it in something interesting - I use
small champagne flutes (2/3 of the recipe fills about 5 iirc). Stick
int in the fridge to set.
All your recipes seem quite decadent, Ian! You'd have hated the biscuits I
made these evening - low sugar, wholemeal flour and with all the dairy being
non-hydrogenated ('high in polyunsaturates, low in saturates', etc) or
skimmed :> I'm turning into a fairly prolific baker, even if it's stuff
that only I want to eat! All the more for me...

Becky
Ian/Cath Ford
2005-01-17 19:53:08 UTC
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 00:53:50 -0000, "Rebecca Loader"
Post by Rebecca Loader
All your recipes seem quite decadent, Ian!
Hmm, I suppose there is an obscene amount of cream in that isn't
there? :-) Mind you, you should see the bread and butter pudding
recipe...
Post by Rebecca Loader
You'd have hated the biscuits I
made these evening - low sugar, wholemeal flour and with all the dairy being
non-hydrogenated ('high in polyunsaturates, low in saturates', etc) or
skimmed :> I'm turning into a fairly prolific baker, even if it's stuff
that only I want to eat! All the more for me...
I *love* baking, but don't seem to find enough time to mange to do it
often enough (having said that Year 7 are making bread tomorrow
afternoon which has to be a good start).

I'm not so sure about the low sugar, low fat approach to biscuits
though! I read an article in the OFM recently I think which said
something along the lines of - so what if it has butter and sugar in
it: it's a bloody biscuit; it should have!

I'd just rather eat less of them I think :-)

I do have a rather nice recipe for biscuits with olive oil in them
actually, which lets you get rid of those nasty polyunsaturated fats
and get some good old mono's in there. Has a tonne of sugar and sweet
wine in it as well mind :-)

Ian

Rebecca Loader
2005-01-17 23:02:32 UTC
Post by Rebecca Loader
All your recipes seem quite decadent, Ian!
Hmm, I suppose there is an obscene amount of cream in that isn't
there? :-) Mind you, you should see the bread and butter pudding
recipe...
I love bread and butter pudding. I've been craving all sorts of stodge,
like that, lumpy porridge, suet pudding - spotted dick! Anything that your
grandma would have loved because it sticks to your guts. I think it's the
time of year - apparently sufferers of SAD (I'm not one, although the light
does bother me) get carb cravings, so it's probably linked in.
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
I *love* baking, but don't seem to find enough time to mange to do it
often enough (having said that Year 7 are making bread tomorrow
afternoon which has to be a good start).
I've got into cooking since about September and have started really to enjoy
it. In the summer I gave up fish, about fifteen months after giving up meat
(although I'd never really eaten very much of it), so thought I'd teach
myself to cook some really tasty and healthy vegetarian food. Tonight I
made a lovely bean and chilli roast thing and I've done some fancy things
variously with lentils, bulgar wheat and a wide range of veggies. I quite
like being vegetarian from the point of view that the recipes are often
quite imaginative and you get to try a fair old range of stuff. It makes
life a bit more interesting to try out new recipes, whatever your
meat-eating status, anyway - I like having something a bit more interesting
than a jacket potato to look forward to! I suppose I have the luxury of
flexible time-keeping as a student, but I wanted to get the practice in
ahead of graduating and having a bit less unstructured time.
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
I'm not so sure about the low sugar, low fat approach to biscuits
though! I read an article in the OFM recently I think which said
something along the lines of - so what if it has butter and sugar in
it: it's a bloody biscuit; it should have!
I'd just rather eat less of them I think :-)
They're probably right! Or they would be, weren't these things absolutely
gorgeous. I've even started to read OFM, actually - and I used to be
disappointed to see that, rather than OMM, drop on the doormat!

Becky
cowboy carl
2005-01-17 23:37:38 UTC
Post by Rebecca Loader
All your recipes seem quite decadent, Ian!
Hmm, I suppose there is an obscene amount of cream in that isn't
there? :-) Mind you, you should see the bread and butter pudding
recipe...
I love bread and butter pudding. I've been craving all sorts of stodge,
like that, lumpy porridge, suet pudding - spotted dick! Anything that your
grandma would have loved because it sticks to your guts. I think it's the
time of year - apparently sufferers of SAD (I'm not one, although the light
does bother me) get carb cravings, so it's probably linked in.
The light bothers you, or the lack of light bothers you?

Is there a condition which is the opposite of SAD? (And I don't mean
happy ... I mean depression because of summer ... although I suppose
that's also SAD ... just a different season)
Post by Rebecca Loader
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
[...]
Do you cook for yourself?

Cos I find the biggest thing which stops me ever cooking interesting
things is the fact I'm cooking for one.

And I know I could "easily" make twice as much, or three times, and just
save the rest for meals, and I often do when I make stuff like lasagne
... but then I just end up eating lasagne for breakfast, lunch and
dinner for three days.

And that's fine, cos I like lasagne, but it's not something I really
fancy doing if I was to try something new.

Like, for instance, sometimes I make 'interesting' sandwiches with
curious things in, and they are tasty, although I wouldn't want another
one after it, or for about a week after it.

And the other thing is, if I make enough for two, well, I normally end
up putting about one and a half portions on my plate, so there's only a
tiny bit left, which then gets finished off later that evening.

And it's annoying with things like a nice pasta sauce or some stir fry
stuff, cos I only make enough pasta/noodles for one, then save the
sauce. Then, when it comes to the next meal, I have to cook pasta or
noodles all over again anyway. I dunno, maybe I'm just being fussy.

I miss being at home, cos then my mum makes the bestest meals ever, and
then I collaspe afterwards from eating too much. And I even eat
vegetables at home, cos for some reason they as tasty.

The sign of me being an adult I suppose ... thinking vegetables are tasty.

Anyway, I'm babbling, gonna get a glass of milk.

cc
Rebecca Loader
2005-01-17 23:50:43 UTC
Post by cowboy carl
Post by Rebecca Loader
All your recipes seem quite decadent, Ian!
Hmm, I suppose there is an obscene amount of cream in that isn't
there? :-) Mind you, you should see the bread and butter pudding
recipe...
I love bread and butter pudding. I've been craving all sorts of stodge,
like that, lumpy porridge, suet pudding - spotted dick! Anything that your
grandma would have loved because it sticks to your guts. I think it's the
time of year - apparently sufferers of SAD (I'm not one, although the light
does bother me) get carb cravings, so it's probably linked in.
The light bothers you, or the lack of light bothers you?
The lack of daylight. The lack of sunshine doesn't help much either though!
Post by cowboy carl
Do you cook for yourself?
Cos I find the biggest thing which stops me ever cooking interesting
things is the fact I'm cooking for one.
And I know I could "easily" make twice as much, or three times, and just
save the rest for meals, and I often do when I make stuff like lasagne
... but then I just end up eating lasagne for breakfast, lunch and
dinner for three days.
I do cook for myself. It can be a pain just cooking for one, but I usually
take a recipe for four, halve the ingredients so it's for two, and put half
of the finished product in the fridge for the next day. If it's something
really nice, I'm happy to eat it again the next day.
Post by cowboy carl
And the other thing is, if I make enough for two, well, I normally end
up putting about one and a half portions on my plate, so there's only a
tiny bit left, which then gets finished off later that evening.
Well, in the absence of willpower, shove it straight in the freezer. You're
less likely to eat it later if you have to defrost it. When you're making
double the amount, scoop one spoon onto your plate, one spoon into a
container...and keep doing that so you have got equal portions. And if
nothing else, just think what a sod it will be to cook again the next day
and how you'll avoid that if you just don't eat this one!

Becky
Ian/Cath Ford
2005-01-18 19:26:13 UTC
Post by cowboy carl
And it's annoying with things like a nice pasta sauce or some stir fry
stuff, cos I only make enough pasta/noodles for one, then save the
sauce. Then, when it comes to the next meal, I have to cook pasta or
noodles all over again anyway. I dunno, maybe I'm just being fussy.
Now, you see, if cooking pasta or noodles (I'm assuming you're not
making them from scratch btw) is an effort you should really think
about the whole cooking thing from the start again!! Heck, get a big
pan, put some water in it, put it on the stove, read the newspaper,
oh, it's boiling - add pasta, warm the sauce, cut the bread, read the
newspaper, it's ready - mix it up and eat it... (notice I chose the
easier of the two - boil kettle, pour on noodles, warm other stuff up,
mix up is too easy...)

You can get easy cook pasta now can't you? Quick cook stuff I mean -
that's OK!! **:-)**

The small children at school were bragging that they could cook
scrambled eggs the other day - apparantly you put them in a microwave.
Hmmm :-(
Post by cowboy carl
I miss being at home, cos then my mum makes the bestest meals ever, and
then I collaspe afterwards from eating too much. And I even eat
vegetables at home, cos for some reason they as tasty.
The sign of me being an adult I suppose ... thinking vegetables are tasty.
Yeah, probably. Can't stand cauliflower though, and cabbage is only
just OK when it's cooked really, really well. And as for brocolli -
ugh...

Ian

cowboy carl
2005-01-18 20:24:17 UTC
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Post by cowboy carl
And it's annoying with things like a nice pasta sauce or some stir fry
stuff, cos I only make enough pasta/noodles for one, then save the
sauce. Then, when it comes to the next meal, I have to cook pasta or
noodles all over again anyway. I dunno, maybe I'm just being fussy.
Now, you see, if cooking pasta or noodles (I'm assuming you're not
making them from scratch btw) is an effort you should really think
about the whole cooking thing from the start again!! Heck, get a big
pan, put some water in it, put it on the stove, read the newspaper,
oh, it's boiling - add pasta, warm the sauce, cut the bread, read the
newspaper, it's ready - mix it up and eat it... (notice I chose the
easier of the two - boil kettle, pour on noodles, warm other stuff up,
mix up is too easy...)
Yeah, I know that ... but it just seems to me that reheating stuff
should not involve cooking ... but just microwaving ... that's the whole
benefit of the making twice as much ... so you don't have to make
*anything* the next day, just stick a plate of stuff in the microwave.

I guess I should just boil more pasta and stick that in the fridge with
the sauce...
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
You can get easy cook pasta now can't you? Quick cook stuff I mean -
that's OK!! **:-)**
I don't like 3 minute pasta.

I like 1 minute pasta (=fresh pasta = YUMMMMEEEEEE)

For some reason, I have this idea in my head that 3 minute pasta is
somehow normaly 8-14 minute pasta modified with weirdo chemicals to make
it quick to cook, and that puts me off. I dunno whether that is true tho.
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
The small children at school were bragging that they could cook
scrambled eggs the other day - apparantly you put them in a microwave.
Hmmm :-(
Heh, I made scrambled eggs in a microwave at school once.

But I was trying to make cake mixture ... or something, actually, you
don't cook cake mixture in the microwave ... but whatever it was, I had
forgotton to stir the eggs in before I put it in the microwave ... so it
didn't cook, it just scrambled completely seperately to the rest of the
sauce.

Oops.
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Post by cowboy carl
I miss being at home, cos then my mum makes the bestest meals ever, and
then I collaspe afterwards from eating too much. And I even eat
vegetables at home, cos for some reason they as tasty.
The sign of me being an adult I suppose ... thinking vegetables are tasty.
Yeah, probably. Can't stand cauliflower though, and cabbage is only
just OK when it's cooked really, really well. And as for brocolli -
ugh...
I love cauliflower and bricolli ... cos if they are steamed just right,
then they are the right texture (they don't fall apart on your fork, and
they don't crunch in your mouth) and you can just shovel forkful after
forkful into your mouth and not feel guilty about getting fat.

But you still get the pleasure of eating.

Sometimes I think I enjoy the sensation of eating, rather than the taste
of the food itself.

Which is probably a bad thing.

cc
Ian/Cath Ford
2005-01-18 22:33:12 UTC
Post by cowboy carl
Yeah, I know that ... but it just seems to me that reheating stuff
should not involve cooking ... but just microwaving ... that's the whole
benefit of the making twice as much ... so you don't have to make
*anything* the next day, just stick a plate of stuff in the microwave.
I guess I should just boil more pasta and stick that in the fridge with
the sauce...
I have a deep distrust of microwaves. I'm not sure I've ever eaten
anything good that came out of one. I've not really used them a lot
either so that's probably why - we have them at college and we made a
steamed pudding in one a coupl eof years ago, but even that wasn't as
nice as the one that someone steamed properly. I've no idea what
microwaved pasta would do - go rubbery?? I don't think you can get
anythng bad from it though - rice is a dodgy one to cool (I still
can't remember the name of the blasted bacteria).
Post by cowboy carl
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
You can get easy cook pasta now can't you? Quick cook stuff I mean -
that's OK!! **:-)**
I don't like 3 minute pasta.
I like 1 minute pasta (=fresh pasta = YUMMMMEEEEEE)
Sure - so why microwave the darned stuff then!! :-)
Post by cowboy carl
For some reason, I have this idea in my head that 3 minute pasta is
somehow normaly 8-14 minute pasta modified with weirdo chemicals to make
it quick to cook, and that puts me off. I dunno whether that is true tho.
I don't think them chemically treat it - I guess it might be dried
differently - the pack we have n the cupboard simply has durum wheat
as it's ingredient so there's nothing nasty in it. It looks thinner
I'd say - the really good dried pasta - the proper artisanle stuff
(which, imo, is **much** better than mass produced fresh pasta btw!)
is thicker and takes longer to cook.
Post by cowboy carl
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Yeah, probably. Can't stand cauliflower though, and cabbage is only
just OK when it's cooked really, really well. And as for brocolli -
ugh...
I love cauliflower and bricolli ... cos if they are steamed just right,
then they are the right texture (they don't fall apart on your fork, and
they don't crunch in your mouth) and you can just shovel forkful after
forkful into your mouth and not feel guilty about getting fat.
I was wondering about cauliflower sliced really thinly and then either
raw or steamed really for about 30 seconds. Use the mandolin to slice
it and it might be worth eating. Actually, stir-fried it's not a
disaster I suppose - I'm looking for Becky to convert me to this sort
of veg :-)
Post by cowboy carl
But you still get the pleasure of eating.
Sometimes I think I enjoy the sensation of eating, rather than the taste
of the food itself.
Which is probably a bad thing.
I don't think so - eating (good eating) should be about texture, and
sensation and looks shouldn't it? (as well as the taste).

Ian

cowboy carl
2005-01-19 08:52:10 UTC
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Post by cowboy carl
[...]
The timer on them is very handy ;-)

But yeah, stuff does taste different. I reckon it's cos the microwave
just heats up the water, so, unless you leave it to stand for a few
minutes afterwards ... or even if you do ... the water parts of whatever
you heat up are gonna be scalding hot, and the rest of it will be
lukewarm at best.

It's not something you notice when you eat it ... but you do notice that
it's different.

However ... for lazy students with no dishwasher ... the benefits of
instant hot food with little or no washing up far outweights the drop in
taste.

In fact, for a lot of adulty people this is the case too ... as can be
seen by the rise in sales of ready meals.
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Post by cowboy carl
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
You can get easy cook pasta now can't you? Quick cook stuff I mean -
that's OK!! **:-)**
I don't like 3 minute pasta.
I like 1 minute pasta (=fresh pasta = YUMMMMEEEEEE)
Sure - so why microwave the darned stuff then!! :-)
Because fresh pasta requires me to go out and buy fresh pasta ... and
yes, I'm too lazy to walk to the end of the road :-/

It's silly, I don't like planning in advance what I'm going to eat on
any particular day, I like to have lots of various things in my fridge
and cupboards, then eat what I feel like each evening.

Although it's not so much "eat what I feel like" as "eat what I feel
like cooking"

If I feel like spending an hour or so cooking/ovening (i.e. like I'm not
gonna be properly hungry for a while) then I'll make something nice.

If I feel like I want something instant, I make beans on toast, or
cheese on toast, or several crisp sandwiches.
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Post by cowboy carl
But you still get the pleasure of eating.
Sometimes I think I enjoy the sensation of eating, rather than the taste
of the food itself.
Which is probably a bad thing.
I don't think so - eating (good eating) should be about texture, and
sensation and looks shouldn't it? (as well as the taste).
Maybe.

Damn, I'm hungry now, and I've gotta go to college. Maybe there's time
for a quick bowl of cornflakes...

cc
Ian/Cath Ford
2005-01-19 19:34:32 UTC
Post by cowboy carl
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
I have a deep distrust of microwaves.
<snip>
Post by cowboy carl
However ... for lazy students with no dishwasher ... the benefits of
instant hot food with little or no washing up far outweights the drop in
taste.
In fact, for a lot of adulty people this is the case too ... as can be
seen by the rise in sales of ready meals.
With their loading of salt and additives? Sure, great thing :-)

Instant, hot food eh? As a trade-off for taste? It should come as no
surprise that I don't want any part of that!

What's so damned great about instant anyway? Sure, people are busy -
heck: I'm busy. So? If I want quick food I'll make noodles with a
basic soy sauce dressing - takes, what, five minutes. Or I'll warm up
a carton of soup - even if it's frozen it'll take no more than 10
minutes. I'll wait that long for quick, nice, food over instand
cardboard any day </rant>
Post by cowboy carl
Because fresh pasta requires me to go out and buy fresh pasta ... and
yes, I'm too lazy to walk to the end of the road :-/
It's silly, I don't like planning in advance what I'm going to eat on
any particular day, I like to have lots of various things in my fridge
and cupboards, then eat what I feel like each evening.
Yeah, me too...
Post by cowboy carl
Although it's not so much "eat what I feel like" as "eat what I feel
like cooking"
If I feel like spending an hour or so cooking/ovening (i.e. like I'm not
gonna be properly hungry for a while) then I'll make something nice.
If I feel like I want something instant, I make beans on toast, or
cheese on toast, or several crisp sandwiches.
Nothing in the world wrong with any of those - I'd think twice about
several crisp sarnies, but the others involve some form of cooking
(Ok, so I don't have a toaster so even toast is kind of cooking for me
I guess).
Post by cowboy carl
Damn, I'm hungry now, and I've gotta go to college. Maybe there's time
for a quick bowl of cornflakes...
Depends upon whether someone nicked your milk I'd say :-)

Ian

Ian/Cath Ford
2005-01-20 22:59:32 UTC
Ya know, I reckon the thing which stops people is a fear of doing
something new, cos then they'll get it wrong.
I got a book for Christmas which has a great piece of advice in the
front. Something along the lines of:

Don't be scared of cooking. Your ingredients will know and they *will*
misbehave.

What can go wrong? Just make sure the chicken is cooked enough and the
steak not enough for your granny. And never, ever eat tripe.

Ian

cowboy carl
2005-01-21 00:27:14 UTC
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Ya know, I reckon the thing which stops people is a fear of doing
something new, cos then they'll get it wrong.
I got a book for Christmas which has a great piece of advice in the
Don't be scared of cooking. Your ingredients will know and they *will*
misbehave.
What can go wrong? Just make sure the chicken is cooked enough and the
steak not enough for your granny. And never, ever eat tripe.
It can taste crap ... that's what can go wrong.

I tried to cook some risotto rice a few weeks ago, failed miserably ...
dunno what I did wrong ... I *tried* to follow the directions, but it
ended up being undercooked and tasting crap.

And today, I made a bolaganse sauce, I thought I remembered hearing
somewhere that squeezing lemon juice into it makes it taste nice, so I
did, but then I got scared cos I didn't know if I remembered correctly,
so then I was worried.

Ended up tasting great, tho perhaps I put in a little too much salt.

But it could easily have ruined a shedload of otherwise yummy mince.

cc
Ian/Cath Ford
2005-01-21 20:03:07 UTC
Post by cowboy carl
It can taste crap ... that's what can go wrong.
True, but that's nothing to be *scared* of. Not everyone likes all
stuff - you should expect to cook some stuff that you won't like so
much every now and again - or, in fact, some stuff you hate. I do.
Post by cowboy carl
I tried to cook some risotto rice a few weeks ago, failed miserably ...
dunno what I did wrong ... I *tried* to follow the directions, but it
ended up being undercooked and tasting crap.
Risotto should probably be a little al dente - you want to be able to
feel it between your teeth. You alsohave to be prepared to taste
and,if necessary, cook a wee bit longer. The frying bit is important
to get it going and you *do* have to stir, stir, stir. Resting it at
the end's important as well.

What recipe did you follow? I've seen some god awful ersatz risottos
that really shouldn't be allowed. (If you really want me to run
through a recipe then say so by all means...)

Oh, the other thing that imo makes a *huge* difference is using
home-made stock - or at least pots of stock rather than a cube. I can
imagine students not fiding stock making easy however :-) (I'll claim
that good veggie stiock canbe made in small quantities, but that's not
really ideal and it is going to take a few hours anyway)
Post by cowboy carl
And today, I made a bolaganse sauce, I thought I remembered hearing
somewhere that squeezing lemon juice into it makes it taste nice, so I
did, but then I got scared cos I didn't know if I remembered correctly,
so then I was worried.
Ended up tasting great, tho perhaps I put in a little too much salt.
But it could easily have ruined a shedload of otherwise yummy mince.
Mince?! :-)

Not heard the thing about lemon juice before - I can see lemom and
beef going though - quite southern Italian vibe. You could grate some
zest in as well I guess - that might be nice. OK, so it's not pukka
bolognase, but that doesn't necessarily matter does it.

Ian

cowboy carl
2005-01-22 00:26:42 UTC
Post by cowboy carl
I tried to cook some risotto rice a few weeks ago, failed miserably ...
dunno what I did wrong ... I *tried* to follow the directions, but it
ended up being undercooked and tasting crap.
Risotto should probably be a little al dente - you want to be able to
feel it between your teeth. You alsohave to be prepared to taste
and,if necessary, cook a wee bit longer. The frying bit is important
to get it going and you *do* have to stir, stir, stir. Resting it at
the end's important as well.
What recipe did you follow? I've seen some god awful ersatz risottos
that really shouldn't be allowed. (If you really want me to run
through a recipe then say so by all means...)
I tried following the instructions on the back of the box.

I have a book all about rice with lots of rice recipies in, so maybe
I'll try one of them one day, maybe it explains a different recepie.

I guess I was just used to cooking 'normal' steamed rice and I wasn't
used to anything too different.
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Post by cowboy carl
And today, I made a bolaganse sauce, I thought I remembered hearing
somewhere that squeezing lemon juice into it makes it taste nice, so I
did, but then I got scared cos I didn't know if I remembered correctly,
so then I was worried.
Ended up tasting great, tho perhaps I put in a little too much salt.
But it could easily have ruined a shedload of otherwise yummy mince.
Mince?! :-)
:-/ What's wrong with mince?
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Not heard the thing about lemon juice before - I can see lemom and
beef going though - quite southern Italian vibe. You could grate some
zest in as well I guess - that might be nice. OK, so it's not pukka
bolognase, but that doesn't necessarily matter does it.
Hehe, maybe I invented something new :)

cc

Ian/Cath Ford
2005-01-18 19:26:12 UTC
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:02:32 -0000, "Rebecca Loader"
Post by Rebecca Loader
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
there? :-) Mind you, you should see the bread and butter pudding
recipe...
I love bread and butter pudding.
OK, the deal is to use Brioche rather than bread, butter it *both
sides* with unsalted butter, soak the fruit in alcohol (preferably
armagnac) for at least a day in advance, use unrefined brown sugar,
pour the unabsorbed alcohol over the pudding before bakin git, and
make sure that you use proper creme anglaise rather than any nasty egg
white type of custard. Then eat in small portions :-)
Post by Rebecca Loader
I've been craving all sorts of stodge,
like that, lumpy porridge, suet pudding - spotted dick! Anything that your
grandma would have loved because it sticks to your guts. I think it's the
time of year - apparently sufferers of SAD (I'm not one, although the light
does bother me) get carb cravings, so it's probably linked in.
I know what you mean - although for me it tends to manifest itself in
pork cravings - roasted belly and so on. I hadn't associated it with
SAD actually, more just a winter thing that feels right at this time
of year.
Post by Rebecca Loader
variously with lentils, bulgar wheat and a wide range of veggies. I quite
like being vegetarian from the point of view that the recipes are often
quite imaginative and you get to try a fair old range of stuff.
I find veggie recipes are often very Cal-Med influenced though - you
know, peppers, tomatoes, aubergine, courgette and so on. I like that
sort of thing, but it often seems *to me* that it's the same sorts of
things re-jigged a bit. I don't often see turnips or even parsnips
being used imaginatively in veggie food - although I guess that I
don't go and look for veggie recipes as much as I should/could do.
Parsnip crumbles are v.nice and I've made a ersatz-risotto from root
veggies and pearl barley which was interesting, but how often do you
see that sort of stuff on people's menus?

Got any good stuff that'll re-educate me on this?

<snip>
Post by Rebecca Loader
than a jacket potato to look forward to! I suppose I have the luxury of
flexible time-keeping as a student, but I wanted to get the practice in
ahead of graduating and having a bit less unstructured time.
Damned good idea. Are you till in hall? Our hall kitchens were pretty
lousy from what I remember...
Post by Rebecca Loader
gorgeous. I've even started to read OFM, actually - and I used to be
disappointed to see that, rather than OMM, drop on the doormat!
I quite like it - some interesting articles and Mr Hugh is always
worth a read imo. Weren't there veggie recipes in this weeks one now
that I come to think of it?

Ian

Rebecca Loader
2005-01-19 00:42:52 UTC
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:02:32 -0000, "Rebecca Loader"
OK, the deal is to use Brioche rather than bread, butter it *both
sides* with unsalted butter, soak the fruit in alcohol (preferably
armagnac) for at least a day in advance, use unrefined brown sugar,
pour the unabsorbed alcohol over the pudding before bakin git, and
make sure that you use proper creme anglaise rather than any nasty egg
white type of custard. Then eat in small portions :-)
Ah, well, you see, that sounds very nice but a bit posh for the likes of me.
I want the really soggy stuff made with bits of Tesco sliced bread. I may
well give it a try, though.
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
I find veggie recipes are often very Cal-Med influenced though - you
know, peppers, tomatoes, aubergine, courgette and so on. I like that
sort of thing, but it often seems *to me* that it's the same sorts of
things re-jigged a bit. I don't often see turnips or even parsnips
being used imaginatively in veggie food - although I guess that I
don't go and look for veggie recipes as much as I should/could do.
Parsnip crumbles are v.nice and I've made a ersatz-risotto from root
veggies and pearl barley which was interesting, but how often do you
see that sort of stuff on people's menus?
Got any good stuff that'll re-educate me on this?
Probably not an awful lot. I'm only really starting out, so you're probably
already used to a wider range of things than I am! Mind you, there are
quite a lot of interesting recipes for vegetarian food with an Asian
influence floating around, especially using stuff like miso. Actually,
yeah, I also saw a good Middle-Eastern selection - on the BBC website, I
think. I've seen quite a few parsnips and turnips used lately; people with
an interest in vegetarianism are often interested in farming methods and
eating quite seasonally, so I've seen some promotion for eating foods like
that at this time of year.
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Post by Rebecca Loader
than a jacket potato to look forward to! I suppose I have the luxury of
flexible time-keeping as a student, but I wanted to get the practice in
ahead of graduating and having a bit less unstructured time.
Damned good idea. Are you till in hall? Our hall kitchens were pretty
lousy from what I remember...
I am, yeah. Our kitchen isn't bad - electric, fan-assisted oven with four
hobs and a grill, and plenty of workspace. The main problem is the *tiny*
fridge for six people; college likes to encourage us to eat in the canteen
and so doesn't give us an awful lot of fridge space. Main meals are usually
served at lunchtime, though, and tend to be full, and sometimes rather
eccentric, dinners: it's not unknown for them to serve pasta bake with roast
potatoes, which is great for loading your carbs but not if you don't want to
go to sleep straight afterwards! It's not particularly healthy stuff,
either, especially when they drench the vegetarian stuff in cheese to give
you a bit of protein: I don't think it's a great coincidence that I lost a
few pounds when I stopped eating there so often and started cooking more for
myself. I appreciate the fact that it's there, of course, and they have
started to serve really nice vegetable soup recently! It's also a godsend
during exam term.

Fortunately for me, three of the other five on my floor tend to eat their
meals in the dining hall and so take up minimal fridge space, meaning I can
shove in my millions of vegetables. The other two girls, also vegetarians,
have similar reservations to me about the composition of the vegetarian
option and prefer to cook for themselves.
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
I quite like it - some interesting articles and Mr Hugh is always
worth a read imo. Weren't there veggie recipes in this weeks one now
that I come to think of it?
Were there? I'll have to look online.

Becky
Ian/Cath Ford
2005-01-19 19:34:40 UTC
Post by Rebecca Loader
Ah, well, you see, that sounds very nice but a bit posh for the likes of me.
I want the really soggy stuff made with bits of Tesco sliced bread. I may
well give it a try, though.
Not posh - but quite possibly the best B&B pudding you'll eat. Even
better cold the next day :-)

Btw, do you know what goes in to Te$co sliced bread? Ugh - take a fw
slices and tryand ball them up. Nasty, nasty, nasty :-(
Post by Rebecca Loader
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
Got any good stuff that'll re-educate me on this?
Probably not an awful lot.
Middle eastern stuff I like in general - didn't relaise the bbc had a
section with that. I actually find waitrose have a great sortable
recipe selection on-line - something stupid like 3000 recipes. Some
not bad veggie stuff actually.
Post by Rebecca Loader
Post by Ian/Cath Ford
I quite like it - some interesting articles and Mr Hugh is always
worth a read imo. Weren't there veggie recipes in this weeks one now
that I come to think of it?
Were there? I'll have to look online.
Looked at it this evening actually - mainly standard cal-med stuff but
some middle eastern as well (I guess that probbaly counts as Med
really). A recipe for spring rolls and a veggie dipping sauce that
looks wortha go - I haven't really ever made those and they make nice
finger food. Some pumpkin as well which is always good. Nothing
outlandishly different though - expect a red chard, bean and picos
blue salad (although I'd have thought that picos would be made with
real rennet rather than the veggie stuff, so that one ight depend on
how strict you are)

Ian