Help with my career
fgh
2005-01-09 15:48:14 UTC
Hello

I'm in GCSE Year 11 now. I have good at Maths, Sciences, English and
History. I'd say I'm pretty well above average, but not at THE top. I was
interested in IT, but I'm not anymore. It bores me, which is why I'm not
taking Alevel IT since I already know what's being taught (more or less).

I'm not interested too much in medicine, I don't want to be a doctor/surgeon
or someone who examines the stars or something. I'd like a job INVOLVING It,
but not predominantly (ie not programming/website management or something).

I have no knowledge of economics, but it looks interesting. How much is the
pay by the way? How easy is it to find jobs? What other options do i have?

thanks
cowboy carl
2005-01-09 17:56:54 UTC
Post by fgh
Hello
I'm in GCSE Year 11 now. I have good at Maths, Sciences, English and
History. I'd say I'm pretty well above average, but not at THE top. I was
interested in IT, but I'm not anymore. It bores me, which is why I'm not
taking Alevel IT since I already know what's being taught (more or less).
I'm not interested too much in medicine, I don't want to be a doctor/surgeon
or someone who examines the stars or something. I'd like a job INVOLVING It,
but not predominantly (ie not programming/website management or something).
I have no knowledge of economics, but it looks interesting. How much is the
pay by the way? How easy is it to find jobs? What other options do i have?
thanks
My advice would be to study what interests you, rather than studying for
a job.

Most jobs don't require specific degrees, plus you will enjoy
college/university much more if you are doing a subject you like, rather
than .. whatever .. too tired to finish that sentence, sorry. Hope you
get the idea tho.

cc
Eatmorepies
2005-01-09 19:38:43 UTC
Post by fgh
Hello
I'm in GCSE Year 11 now. I have good at Maths, Sciences, English and
History. I'd say I'm pretty well above average, but not at THE top. I was
interested in IT, but I'm not anymore. It bores me, which is why I'm not
taking Alevel IT since I already know what's being taught (more or less).
Physics, maths,chemistry - to devlop your brain and give you a huge choice
of courses/careers.
Drama/English to meet girls.

John
fgh
2005-01-09 21:55:21 UTC
Is Chemistry really that important? I hate anything to do with equations,
acids, reactions, metals, extracting stuff etc. Unfortunately I am very shy
so drama is out of the question. thanks for cowboy as well
John
Samsonknight
2005-01-11 01:08:08 UTC
Post by fgh
Is Chemistry really that important? I hate anything to do with equations,
acids, reactions, metals, extracting stuff etc. Unfortunately I am very
shy so drama is out of the question. thanks for cowboy as well
err? But you said that you were above average in maths , sciences and
english. Why do you hate chemestry? its everything you have mentioned above
including english to a certain extent.
John
jess
2005-01-11 18:27:30 UTC
Post by Samsonknight
Post by fgh
Is Chemistry really that important? I hate anything to do with
equations, acids, reactions, metals, extracting stuff etc.
Unfortunately I am very shy so drama is out of the question. thanks
for cowboy as well
err? But you said that you were above average in maths , sciences and
english. Why do you hate chemestry? its everything you have mentioned
above including english to a certain extent.
being above average doesn't equal an interest in a subject.

and chemistry involves no english; unless you count the fact that you have
to be literate to study it.
fgh
to be literate to study it.
John Porcella
2005-01-09 22:40:44 UTC
Post by fgh
Hello
I'm in GCSE Year 11 now. I have good at Maths, Sciences, English
"I have good at ...English".

Really?
--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella
Samsonknight
John Porcella
Ginnie Redston
2005-01-16 08:34:43 UTC
Post by fgh
Hello
I'm in GCSE Year 11 now. I have good at Maths, Sciences, English and
History. I'd say I'm pretty well above average, but not at THE top. I was
interested in IT, but I'm not anymore. It bores me, which is why I'm not
taking Alevel IT since I already know what's being taught (more or less).
I'm not interested too much in medicine, I don't want to be a
doctor/surgeon or someone who examines the stars or something. I'd like a
job INVOLVING It, but not predominantly (ie not programming/website
management or something).
I have no knowledge of economics, but it looks interesting. How much is
the pay by the way? How easy is it to find jobs? What other options do i
have?
thanks
For what it's worth, I agree with Eatmorepies.

Seriously, English and Sciences are a good mix and will one day send good
messages to an employer. (Ooh this one can count AND write!)

Ginnie
fgh
2005-01-16 17:32:52 UTC
my choices are:

pure maths with mechanics, chemistry, physics and economics

Does anyone think it would be hard? too little time?
thanks
Ginnie Redston
2005-01-16 17:46:52 UTC
Post by fgh
pure maths with mechanics, chemistry, physics and economics
Does anyone think it would be hard? too little time?
Well, the Maths will clearly support the Economics, and the other two
sciences are a popular combination with Maths, so it should be do-able. This
combination is not particularly unusual.

Only you can say whether the combination is right for you.

:-)

Ginnie
fgh

Ginnie
GinnieRedston
2005-01-16 21:42:52 UTC
Post by fgh
Post by Ginnie Redston
Well, the Maths will clearly support the Economics, and the other two
sciences are a popular combination with Maths, so it should be do-able.
This combination is not particularly unusual.
Only you can say whether the combination is right for you.
:-)
Ginnie
Cool thanks for the help.
I hope it will be. to be honest I wish I was back in year 7 or 8 again.
Year 11 decisions ARE stressful. Don't worry, you'll adapt.

Ginnie
www.scintillae.org.uk
cowboy carl
2005-01-17 23:40:44 UTC
Post by GinnieRedston
Post by fgh
Post by Ginnie Redston
Well, the Maths will clearly support the Economics, and the other two
sciences are a popular combination with Maths, so it should be do-able.
This combination is not particularly unusual.
Only you can say whether the combination is right for you.
:-)
Ginnie
Cool thanks for the help.
I hope it will be. to be honest I wish I was back in year 7 or 8 again.
Year 11 decisions ARE stressful. Don't worry, you'll adapt.
Until the next stressful decision/thing comes along.

Then you'll wish you were back in year 11.

There's a reason why people say "school days are the best days of your life"

It's because life sucks.

cc