University Maths
wooks
2006-03-02 21:29:43 UTC
Somebody comes in spends an hour writing the some definitions and
proofs on the board solves some problems and leaves.

This supposedly constitutes a lecture. I am told that is how maths
lectures are at university. Is it it true. Because if so I will not
take any options from the maths dept for the duration of my degree.
Dr A. N. Walker
2006-03-03 18:35:52 UTC
Post by wooks
Somebody comes in spends an hour writing the some definitions and
proofs on the board solves some problems and leaves.
This supposedly constitutes a lecture. I am told that is how maths
lectures are at university.
It is not how any lecture I have ever attended or given
has been conducted. But no doubt there are bad lecturers and
bad lectures out there, and some of them may follow your pattern
[which, after all, is not so different from how many (rotten)
maths lessons are given in (some) schools and colleges].
Post by wooks
Is it it true. Because if so I will not
take any options from the maths dept for the duration of my degree.
Your privilege. But you might do better to enquire at
the maths dept of your chosen univ than to ask in a general group.
--
Andy Walker, School of MathSci., Univ. of Nott'm, UK.
***@maths.nott.ac.uk
t***@gmail.com
2006-03-08 13:31:42 UTC
This is certainly how most pure maths modules are taught! This is
excusable though, as it's really the nature of the subject which forces
is it to be taught in such a way. It's very unlikely applied modules
will be taught like this and it's also very unlikely for a subsid to do
pure modules, so I'm sure you will not have a problem.
wooks
2006-03-08 18:52:53 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
This is certainly how most pure maths modules are taught! This is
excusable though, as it's really the nature of the subject which forces
is it to be taught in such a way. It's very unlikely applied modules
will be taught like this and it's also very unlikely for a subsid to do
pure modules, so I'm sure you will not have a problem.
Well it is an ancillary course run by the maths dept for Computer
Science. I think that would make it an applied module. I think the
approach is because it is being taught by a pure mathematician. I have
ceased attending the lectures and am teaching myself which is slow
because I have to find the right material (but effective once I find
it). I can't be doing this for the duration of the degree though.
t***@gmail.com